- Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010
Am I a cohabitant?
- You must show you have lived in an intimate and committed relationship with your former partner for 5 years or more or 2 years if there are dependant children
- A court will consider financial contributions to the home, earning capacity for each person, financial dependence as well as other factors
When should I seek legal advice?
- As soon as possible after the relationship ends. The legislation applies a 2 year time limit from the date the relationship ends to issue proceedings.
What can a court order?
- Similar to a divorce, it can make orders in respect of property, maintenance, pensions, succession rights etc.
Gaffney Halligan & Co Solicitors are experienced family law solicitors with offices conveniently located in Artane and Raheny. If you have any queries regarding family law (divorce, separation, cohabitation etc), please contact us and we would be delighted to meet with you to discuss further. Email: [email protected] or by phone Artane (01) 8315726 - Raheny (01) 8314133